Tuesday 26 November 2013

Russell's Angry Scotch Ale

Wouldn't ye like a wee bit o' scotch in yer ale?

Okay, I'll stop typing like I'm crazy. I really liked everything I've tried so far from Russell Brewing, especially the Blood Alley Bitter, which I have a review on if you scroll back far enough in time.

Lately, I indulged in the Angry Scotch Ale (ABV 6.5%; 30 IBU).

On first pour, it has an amazing dark, rich, cocoa-caramel colour, with a 1/4 inch of head. It dissipated before I could take my picture, but it poured well. It smells sweet, with toasty malt notes and caramel. At some angles, it looks like I poured a stout, and some angles (with bright light behind it), you can see the dark reddish-tan colour of the beer.



On first sip, my smelling senses confirmed the tastes. Delicious hints of smoke, oak, caramel, malt, toffee, mmmm tasty! It's complex, layered, but it is decadent and not cluttered. The flavours flow together and bring a richness not found in many other brews.

As an experiment, I paired the beer with my friend's home-made chocolate syrup topping. It brings out the richness and compliments the flavour of the beer. We mixed this flavour combination up a little bit, but I think a spoonful of that syrup is the best fit solution for this beer so far.



Overall, the Angry Scotch Ale is by far a brew that makes me an antonym of Angry. This melody of flavours melds into one solid beer to appreciate. If you have never picked this up, do it.

The Russell Brewing Angry Scotch Ale gets a not-so-angry 9.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment